Monday, November 17, 2008

Time and love.

You know, if I had a dime for every time I'm asked the same question, I'd be able to put a large dent in our student loans. "Do you think you'll have enough to give to another baby?" Of course, sometimes it's phrased differently, but you get the idea. I guess the people asking have never struggled with fertility and the idea that they'd never be able to have a family of their own because this thought has never entered my mind. I have more than enough love to go around. I'm also asked how I think the kids will respond and if it worries me. You know, I've never really even thought about it. Much like the dog issue, it's just not a concern. When I was pregnant with the twins, EVERYONE asked me when we were getting rid of our dog. ??? What, since we're now ready to add to our family, we have to get rid of another family member? How does that work, exactly? I adopted Bay (rather, she picked me out) and it was never a question of what we would do with her. I've always said, "The babies will learn to adjust to having a dog." Not the other way around. They have to learn to deal with her and be nice to her. And, at some point, they'll have to learn that she is in charge of them and, when she tells them that she's had enough playing, they'll have to learn to stop.

I'm confident that the kids will adjust to having a new sibling and I'll learn to adjust to splitting myself between the three. I've learned to adjust to life as a mom of twins, so I'm capable of anything.

No comments: