Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

What a beautiful day this turned out to be. I had the turkey in the oven by 9:51 and everything was finished at the same time and on the table in time! We even were able to eat before the kids woke up from their extended naps! Bonus! Everything was fantastic, if I do say so myself, and the turkey was the most tender it has ever been. The kids woke up around 3:40-ish and came down to eat. Not a lot was consumed, but Figgy did devour my turkey. Not bad for a self-imposed vegetarian who was eating tofu this time last year. :) I even managed to clean as I was cooking, so there wasn't much to do after dinner. Of course, I didn't have to do any of the post-dinner cleaning. That's the best part of doing all that cooking. I did, however, curl up on the couch and curse myself for eating too much. I seem to have forgotten (momentary lapse in judgement) that I can't eat as much anymore. Something about a baby in your belly that does that to ya...

I have to tell you, I had a small knot in my tummy all day because I knew we'd be venturing up to have dessert at the in-laws. I'm always on edge when it comes to them because we really don't get along, but they took care of it for me. We were supposed to be there around 5:00...these people are NEVER on-time for anything, remember that? So, they call to see if we're still coming and we tell them we are. They ask if we can come at 5:30, instead. No problem; it just means they spend 30 minutes less with their grandkids. It's a 35-40 minute drive (maybe longer on a holiday), so we figure we'll head out at 5:00. As we're getting ready to walk out the door, I check the phone and see that they called us. Excuses, excuses, excuses galore...and they want to know if we'll come closer to 6:00. Of course, we both look at each other and know that there is no way in hell they'll be done with their dinner by 6:00. They never are; the one Thanksgiving they've hosted since Jason and I have been together, they were almost an hour and a half late with dinner. So, the decision was made that we were not going to waste our time, putting the kids in the car only to drive 40 minutes and spend 45 minutes with them. It's just not worth it to either of us. Talk about relief! I'm so glad that they messed up again and it wasn't me being the bad guy and bailing out on them. So, since we were all ready to go outside anyway, we loaded the kids into the stroller, grabbed the dog, and went for a nice long walk. It was a wonderful way to spend the evening! When we got home, we unloaded and got the kids their milk, settled down to watch tv and in walks my brother and his family. It was such a great way to end the day and the kids were rubbing their eyes and ready for bed by 7:45.

Once everyone was in bed, I curled up on the couch with Jason and fell asleep as he rubbed my back. It was warm in the house, my tummy was full, the baby was kicking, kids were asleep and I was safe and sound in my husband's arms. What more could a girl ask for, really? I let the dog out just a few minutes ago and walked the trash up the driveway. I looked up and the sky was clear, the stars were shining, and I swear I saw a shooting star.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: