Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday

Is it really only 9:12?!?! It feels like midnight!

So, I have a pretty weird family layout. My folks divorced (thank you!) when I was in the 4th grade and, though it felt like the end of the world at the time, it turned out to be the best thing that could have ever happened to us. I rebelled against my mom, however, and ended up moving with my dad and his new wife for several years. Mom and I just didn't see eye to eye and had some serious issues between us. I was so blessed, however, that this wonderful woman that had been a part of my dad's life stepped up to the plate. I remember the conversation we had one evening where she sat across from me and said, "I am not here to replace your mom. We only have one mother in our lives and she loves you the best way she knows how. I am here to be whatever you want me to be and I hope that is your friend." I fought her tooth and nail for so many years. I was cruel to her. I hated her. But, you know what? She saved my life and taught me that it is possible to love someone even if they're not your biological child. Her family welcomed us with open arms, as well. It was the first time in my life that I can remember feeling unconditional love. As a matter of fact, it was one of her brothers that walked me down the aisle a few years ago (with my middle brother on the other side). She helped me to see that my own mother had made a lot of changes in her life. She forced me to open my eyes and look at her in a different light so that I was able to see that my mom had, in fact, changed. And, in return, I had to change. It took me a good 6 years to do that, but here I am. I am a better person because I have two mothers who loved me, nurtured me, and taught me the lessons of life.

No comments: