Thursday, November 27, 2008

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

I'm sure I'll have more tonight, but I wanted to express my disappointment...

So, normally I don't watch this but decided to join my husband and the kids to see what all the hype was about. I'm not a big parade sort of person, but it's really the only thing on tv, it's important to Jason, and I'm busy with the turkey. (Taking a break to shower and check e-mail!) Now, I should also start this off by saying I am normally NOT like this. I'm one of those sorts of people that says, "If you don't like it, turn it off...don't read it...blah, blah, blah." That said, I do feel like there is way too much leeway in television programming these days. I didn't get the big deal about Janet Jackson's wardrobe "malfunction" during the Super Bowl.

But, when I'm sitting down to watch a HOLIDAY parade that everyone knows is going to be watched by young families around the country, I expect it to be tasteful. I expect the songs to be geared towards the holiday or children. I do not expect to hear the only black recording artist talking about slipping out of her lingerie and into nothing but her boyfriend's t-shirt. I do not expect to watch her sliding her hand down her leg, near her private area. What in the hell is that all about?!?! Is that all the black recording artists today can sing about? All of those artists that I grew up listening to (Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin...) never resorted to that. It disgusts me. It's inappropriate on a program such as this one and I'm extremely disappointed in the parade organizers.

And, did anyone else notice that the ONLY singer on the floats that sang live was none other than my favorite? James Taylor... The rest of 'em can't sing a live song to save their stinkin' lives. Ugh. What happened to the decent music I grew up listening to?

No comments: