Tuesday, December 9, 2008

So, when I was trying to come up with something for my little profile blurb, I tried to give some of you an idea of the person I am. It's not a great glimpse, but I keep going back to something I wrote. "My kids are the first thing I've done right in my life, but I still feel like I never seem to do anything good enough." I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I do feel like that most of the time...that I never seem to do anything good enough. But, I think I'm selling myself a little short because as I look at the kids, I am snapped into the reality that I am (excuse my ego) doing a damn fine job with them. We are. Of course, Jason is my partner in life and in parenting. But, as a SAHM, I am responsible for so much of their raising, schedules, and morals. I can't help but feel a bit of pride when I'm out with the kids and they say hello and wave to everyone they see. As we were leaving Target the other day, they were waving goodbye to the cashier and Elizabeth hollered, "bye-bye, love you!" Yes, folks, we are Target regulars. They constantly surprise me with moments of pure love between the two of them. They sneak a hug here and there, hold hands when they think no one is looking, and are the first ones to comfort each other when it is needed. If I'm disciplining Elizabeth because she took my water bottle and hid it, Ethan will stop what he is doing and go find it without me knowing it. He will bring it to me and then put his arm around his sister, as if to say, "I got your back." They are learning manners. They are helping to put away their toys before naps and bedtime. They are extraordinarily affectionate with me.

I am a success with my children. If nothing else in my life, at least I have that. (Let's talk in 14 years when they're 16 and hate me.)

In all of this, however, I am accutely aware that I never would have made it this far without the help and support of my on-line twin momma friends. I've met one of you, only talked to a few of you, but hope that you know that I gather strength and purpose from each of you as you walk before me.

No comments: