Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New favorite words...

Figgy has two new favorite phrases. One she learned from me: "Of course!" The other, from daddy today in the car: "Awesome!"

It's all I've heard today.

Figgy: "Momma. Elmo awesome!"
Me: "Really?"
Figgy: "Of course!"

:)

My appointment today was both good and bad. I have to say that I absolutely love the new doctor in the practice. She started her training as a midwife years ago and became an ob at some point. She practiced at Georgetown Hospital for 10+ years and joined my practice about a year ago, I guess? So, now I'm absolutely wild for my group of docs. I talked at length with her about what the perinatologist said and she reminded me that they're not the one's delivering this baby. She said to remember that they're high risk docs and their job is to sort of scare us (for lack of a better phrase). She said that they will absolutely do their very best to ensure a successful VBAC and that they always feel vaginal is the best way to go. But, she also wanted me to keep in mind that it's not a promise and they will do the c-section if necessary. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is a blanket statment of, "you will not be able to have a VBAC". As far as the medication goes, I'm really torn about this. The medication in question is called glyburide. I've been researching the hell out of this and my gut is telling me to tell them to go jump in a lake and refuse to take it. But, I'm also very afraid of insulin addiction. With PCOS, I'm already in an insulin resistant state. Add to that the family history and the gestational diabetes, and my chances of never coming off of the insulin after this pregnancy are exceptionally high.

I'm now in the weekly window of ultrasounds and will find out tomorrow if we're moving to twice weekly ultrasounds. My ob wants me started on something immediately as my resting numbers are not being controlled by diet. The rest of my numbers throughout the day are good, but the resting number isn't. She says that's a clear indicator of the progression of the disease and my body's inability to regulate. I guess I'll know more tomorrow...

1 comment:

Lisa H. said...

I had a VBA2C with insulin resistant gestational diabetes 2 yrs ago, and it was a great experience. I was so glad to have avoided another cesarean.

Have you found ICAN for VBAC support yet? www.ican-online.org There might even be a local chapter in your area.