Friday, October 17, 2008

How did I make it through the week?

I can't believe it's Friday night, already. I honestly didn't think I'd survive the week; between me being sick and Ethan being sick, one of us was going to jump off a bridge! Poor Elizabeth...she just didn't know what to do. She'd pat me on the cheek and then pat Ethan on the head and go back to playing. My little nurse! I called the doc on the way to Jason's work on Wednesday and they had me bring him right in. His fever was 102 and he had (TMI!) chunky snot coming out of his nose. (Sorry!) He stopped eating and would scream, hysterically, when I tried to force some sort of liquids into his mouth (including popsicles). His ears were clear (they always say the same thing, his ears are clearer than most of the kids his age) but his throat...my poor little man. His throat was red and nearly swollen completely closed. She was positive he had strep, but after 10 minutes waiting for the cultures, it came back negative. So, she said she felt he had hand, foot and mouth. Okay, first of all, he's already had that. Second of all, he had absolutely ZERO sores anywhere on his body. I'd really just rather they say, "unknown virus" instead of creating something. This was a new, young doc and I really liked her, but I'd be more comfortable if she just said she didn't know. Speaking of which, I'm really bummed out. I spent six weeks researching the doctors available to us in this area when it came time to pick out a pediatrician. In all cases, my kids will have the very best doctors available to us. We saw the very best urologist/nephrologist when Ethan was a baby. We had the best cardiologist available to us when they were newborns. So, after six weeks, our pediatrician was chosen and I couldn't have been any happier with her. She came highly recommended, was written up in tons of local magazines (Top 10 in the Washingtonian), and was recommended by a pediatrician friend of the family who is located in California. Unfortunately, she is also the CEO of the practice and is burning both ends of the candles pretty closely. So, when I tried to make the kids' 2 year appointment, we were told she is not taking patients after the holidays. She's supposed to call us and I'll ask her for her recommendations as far as the docs in the practice goes, but I'm still really bummed. The kids adored her and she's always been very honest with me about things. I really liked this young doc that we saw on Wednesday, but I think she's a bit too young and fresh. So, I've got a list of the docs in the practice and I'll start the long process of researching them.

No news on the baby front. I *think* I've felt the baby move this week. I'm still throwing up, nauseous and feeling preggo. I'm pretty confident we're still carrying forward and that they'll be able to find a heartbeat on Tuesday. I honestly don't think I can handle another second trimester loss.

Twin-wise... I don't think I'm going to survive this newest phase; the terrible 2's. I know I'm in the minority as far as my thinking goes, but I truly believe the newborn - 9 month period was much easier than anything else. I can pinpoint when it got more difficult and that was right around 12 months. Everyone else says it got easier, but I've found the exact opposite to be true. It is exhausting, much more so than the sleep deprivation was, and I feel like I'm constantly on the edge. It's certainly a lesson in humility, patience, and acceptance...

2 comments:

MereCat said...

Dear me, girlie! You've got a lot going on! Sorry for the sickie, everything from preggo sick to chunky snot. We had some chunky snot this week too, so I get it. And as far as the age of twins goes, I totally agree that the most blissful time was the like 9-12 month phase. We are 19.5 months now and the tantrums have just begun. It's a total lawless land. No comprehension of rules, or why we have rules, why we can't dart out in traffic or careen off the couch onto our heads. It's like a pack of wild monkeys.

Figgy and The Professor said...

Yes, yes, yes! At 21 months, they hear me say no, but they actually stop and I can see them thinking about it before deciding mommy is a crackpot and doesn't know what she's talking about. And, careening off the couch onto their heads!?!? I thought we were the only one's! :)