Sunday, January 18, 2009

National Air & Space Museum

The Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA.

We took the kids to the UHC today, to see the airplanes and just walk around. My husband is a WWII geek, so I walked the museum with the kids and he hung out reading all the stuff about the planes. The moment we walked in (I've been before, but none of them have), I was thrilled with our decision to go. It's always hit or miss with them at this age, so I wasn't sure what reaction we'd get. But, Ethan just started squealing and let out lots of oohs and ahhhs. (Right along with daddy, of course.) Ellie loved it, as well. It's a $12 fee for parking but free to get into the building, which is cheaper than what it started out to be. When they first opened, it was $18. There is an observation tower where you can go and watch all the planes land at Dulles. Unfortunately, the two men there wanted to argue over whether we'd be allowed to take our stroller, so we opted to not go up. The director was going to allow it but the elevator man wouldn't. I guess he needed to feel powerful and exert what little power he does have. I don't know. *sigh*

My favorite part of the museum (a huge airplane hangar) is the section devoted to the space program. The Enterprise is docked there. It's phenomenal and quite impressive as you first walk into that section.

Ethan became quite excited and started screaming, "MICKEY, MICKEY!" I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what he was talking about until I looked closer and realized he was looking at this:



A few other shots from today:


After naps, we took the kids over and got hair cuts... :( Ethan looks like a little man now and his little curls are gone. Elizabeth got a bob-type cut and her curls have bounced up. It's adorable! Afterwards, we walked over to Champps to grab a bite to eat and my Figgy found herself right in her element surrounded by her type of people. It was the last quarter of the Philly/Arizona game and every single time people would get loud and cheer, she'd stand up and scream right along with them, clapping the entire time. The child had no clue what everyone was so excited about, she just knew they were her type of folks! LOL! My little man, however, was not so excited about all the excitement and spent a good deal of the evening sitting on gramma's lap. Poor guy. :(

Tomorrow is Ethan's initial scan for the return of his hydronephrosis. We'll have to be there at 10:30 to get all checked in and I had to have a good laugh when I got the instructions. They don't him voiding for an hour prior to the scan. LOL! Yeah, right. How do you stop a (just turned) 2 year old from doing that? I told the woman she was insane and that I'd certainly do my best (not give him any liquids in the morning) but that I couldn't promise anything. He'll want his milk first thing with breakfast.

That's it from our neck of the woods. It's Innaugural weekend here in DC, so we're staying very close to home (read: no further than 3 miles). Jason wanted to go downtown to the Natural History museum today and I told him he must have hit his head on something because today was the concert on the mall. He, apparently, didn't think it would be "that crowded". Boy, was he mistaken. I'm so glad I vetoed that idea! :)

Amber, I imagine you guys are sticking on-base for the next few days, too!

3 comments:

MereCat said...

That museum looks like so much fun! My kids would have loved it. They are big into airplane spotting right now.

I'm also lusting after your stroller right now.

Eeyorebabies said...

lol, yeah, we aren't going off post. That would be horrible. I value my time and life thanks :P
That museum looks fun! When are you all doing Disney on Ice? That looks like a lot of fun! We are trying to think of something fun to do for Valentines day.

Figgy and The Professor said...

Girl, you can have the stroller! It's on craigslist right now because we've outgrown it. It was a lifesaver and the only one that fit our needs but, as you can see, Ellie's legs are just too long for it. Go to BRU and look up the Contours Options stroller by Kolcraft. The seats change directions, which we loved. Both can face in, both can face out, one in and one out... The basket goes from the front to the back and is HUGE and the parent tray is amazing. I can't say enough good things about it. It's a heavy stroller, though.

Amber, we're going on the 14th to the 11:00 show. I just did a quick search and you can get 4 tickets, 3 rows behind us in the same section for $30 each!