Saturday, June 20, 2009

Potty training and big kid beds.

Potty training sucks. Truly. I spent the entire day with Figgy trying, begging, cheering, leading by example...every 15 minutes I put her on the potty and do you know that little snot head peed in between sets? I left for an hour and a half to go to the grocery store, taking Miss Meghan with me so that Jason could focus on Figgy, and she peed while I was gone...but not in the potty. Not once today did she go in the big girl potty. The Professor? Yeah, well, he screamed and kicked because he wanted to go on the "big girl potty", too. Every time I put him on it? He screamed and arched his back and even hit me at one point.

You moms who are doing this potty thing make me jealous. Your kiddos seem to take to it like fish to water. This sucks!

We're struggling with sleep issues right now, too. Figgy has had a crib tent for a year now, I believe. She started climbing out of her crib just before 18 months and destroyed everything in her path. Hurricane Figgy. One of the dads from my local PoM's group sold us a crib tent for cheap and it saved our lives. Ethan never showed an interest in climbing out of his crib and I thanked my higher power for that. Well, sometime last week he decided he could get out of his crib on his own. Several weeks ago he started having serious sleep issues and would put himself into a full blown panic attack before bed. He quickly realized he could climb out of his crib to come find me and that's the end of the crib. In the last 48 hours, he has slept no more than a combined 14 hours. He will not nap. He climbs out of his crib and runs around his room. We put them to bed at 8:00 and he stays up (and keeps his sister up, in the process) until 10:30. He woke up earlier this week at 4:30 in the morning and would not go back to sleep. It's miserable. I'm miserable. All this time I've been of the mindset that I'd just shut the door and let him do his thing because, after all, he'll go to sleep when he's tired...right? Nope. So, I spend several hours (with Jason) going into their room and hollering at him to get back in his crib. Take off the crib rail to create the toddler bed and you get the same result. He will not stay put.

It's midnight and he's up. Meghan will be up in 20 minutes, or so. Mommy is going to lose her mind.

Thankfully, I found another crib tent for $30 and I'll be swiping that sucker up tomorrow morning. I know, I know...he's almost 2.5 years old and should be in a bed. Unfortunately, I need my sanity at this point more than he needs to be in a bed and we'll deal with the other stuff once I've got my wits about me (give me another three or four months, will ya?).

1 comment:

Eeyorebabies said...

You should have called me. I would have given you a crib tent for free! We have 2 just sitting in the garage right now.
This potty thing, try going to the library and finding a book called "Toilet Learning in less than a day".
Kd took less than a week to get the training down and knew what to do the end of the first day. Ky we didn't use the book on and it took 8 months on her. If I had known about the book I would have used it on Ky and saved the headache. I hate potty training!!!
We had the same issues with the crib turned toddler bed. We finally just got twin sized beds and the bed rails. I think the bed rails are what made a huge difference, They didn't feel confined, yet they didn't feel vulnerable to falling out of bed, does that make sense?