Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm normal!

I'm normal! I'm a normal mom of multiples! Yay! :)

We have new friends who just transferred here from Colorado with their twins. The kiddos were born six days before Figgy and The Professor (though, they were five weeks early). We "met" at first on our Raising Multiples community that I've been active on since the kids were born. When she found out they were moving here, we starting communicating a little bit more and finally caught up today for a playdate. Now, normally, I cringe at the thought of getting together and going to the park because I cannot stop to carry on a conversation, I can't sit on the bench with the other moms and chit-chat, I can't focus on one child...sometimes one of my kids will even fall off of the playground equipment (GASP!) because I'm tending to the other one. So, I end up leaving feeling overwhelmed and like I've been rude because I didn't get a chance to talk to whoever I was there with.

NOT TODAY!

Amber got there with her two kiddos and her friend, Tanja (from Germany), and I immediately felt comfortable. She's a super nice woman and it was as though it was an unspoken understanding that we probably wouldn't have a chance to really get a conversation started, which was perfectly fine. We did chat and knew the other one had an eye on the kids if one of us had to run to get the other child(ren). I felt normal, suddenly, and immediately at ease. Not once during the two hours that we were there did I feel overwhelmed or on the verge of tears. And, she even got it when I said that sometimes I feel anxious about the people surrounding us. I didn't feel weird that my kids weren't playing with the others (because hers did the same thing!). We came to the conclusion that it's just a twin thing; who needs other kids when you have your own buddy right there with you?

I had such a good time and was so stress-free that it was two hours later before I realized it! The kids are fast asleep, now, and we have made plans to meet up next week for another playdate.

2 comments:

MereCat said...

I'm glad to hear you say that about not being able to have chatty conversations for watching the two. I feel like that just dropping off and picking up kids from preschool. As the other moms hold their one baby and look each other in the eye, I'm all elbows and a$$holes trying to wrangle mine. It kills me. I'm jealous you have a friend that gets it.

Figgy and The Professor said...

You always make me laugh. Elbows and a$$holes...that's exactly how it feels! :)